The Disability Studies Fall School is a training program for graduate students (master’s or PhD level) in Turkish universities who are either conducting or willing to conduct disability studies research. The school is organized by Bogazici University Social Policy Forum and Research Worldwide Istanbul.
The school aims to equip participants with new perspectives and approaches from different disciplines to disability studies including law, educational sciences, social policy, political science, sociology, architecture, medicine, gender studies and psychology. With the contribution of experienced faculty members from different disciplines, the school will address issues such as theories and models of disability, how different disciplines approach disability, the integration of disability-rights approach into research design, methodology and analysis. On the last day of the school, participants will present their research proposals and receive feedback from both faculty members and other participants.
Participation in the school is free of charge. The language of instruction is Turkish. The school includes watching 9 video courses (9-hour long) and attending the two-day long session on participant presentations. Once accepted, students are obliged to participate in all training program. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year, the fall school will be conducted through distance education. Maximum effort will be shown to make educational material fully accessible. The training program is based on the human-rights approach to disability. Therefore, research proposals should not include any discriminative language, approach and method that contradicts with a human rights-based approach.
· Beyza Ünal (Clinical Psychology, Association of Women with Disabilities)
· Dikmen Bezmez (Sociology, Koc University)
· Engin Yılmaz (Assistive Technology and Education Laboratory for Individuals with Visual Disabilities – GETEM, Bogazici University)
· Göksenin İnalhan (Architecture, Istanbul Technical University)
· Hande Sart (Educational Sciences, Bogazici University)
· İdil Işıl Gül (Law, Istanbul Bilgi University)
· Nurseli Yeşim Sünbüloğlu (Gender Studies, Ozyegin University)
· Resa Aydın (Medicine, Istanbul University)
· Volkan Yılmaz (Social Policy, Bogazici University)
Graduate students, especially in social sciences who are willing to conduct empirical research related to disability studies, are encouraged to apply. Candidates must complete the online application form no later than July 20, 2020. The candidates are required to write an abstract for their research on disability (max. 600 words) and attach the document to the application form.
Online application form: https://tr.surveymonkey.com/r/2020guzokulu
Şair Latifi Sok. No: 35 Kadıköy - İstanbul
+90(216)345 65 23